Sunday, August 22, 2010

Le Meridien Shanghai

Friday night we had a cocktail party with work.  A bunch of teachers met at school and took the Metro downtown.  This was the first time we were on a Metro that was so packed!  We got off at Nanjing Lu, the pedestrian street that ALWAYS has WAY too many people there.  It is so stressful to me to walk through it.  There are so many people, then people just stop and take pictures, and then on top of all that chaos, there is a trolley that goes through the streets.  It is just nuts!

Anyways, the party was at the top of Le Meridien Shanghai, which is a very nice hotel.  We went to a bar on the 65th floor.  The whole bar was reserved for our school.  Andrea Stubbs, the superintendent’s wife greeted us all.  The new teachers were all given a stamp of their name in Chinese characters. 

We enjoyed an open bar, fancy finger foods and desserts, and a DJ all night.  Everyone was having a great time.  We had an AMAZING view of the city from up there.  We were able to see the Pearl Tower and other buildings along the river.  It was beautiful.  Of course our camera battery died while we were there and we couldn’t get any pictures of the view.  L  We are going to go back so we can take pictures.  It was such an amazing feeling to look out that window and see such a large, beautiful city and know that it is our home right now!  We couldn’t stop talking about how crazy it would be for our friends and family to not come and visit us!  You would be missing out on seeing a gorgeous city full of restaurants, shops, huge buildings, Chinese culture, and friendly people.

The night was going strong long past the 10pm end point.  After that we had to buy our own beer and wine.  But, the dance floor was still PACKED!  These teachers definitely know how to have a good time!  Some of the staff was up on the stage dancing, myself included!  I loved it!  Travis even got out on the dance floor!  I could barely move by the time we were done.  I had worn my super cute 5 inch wedges because I didn’t think we would be walking much, since we took the Metro.  However, it was a LONG walk after the metro to the hotel and I ended up getting a few blisters and couldn’t walk or dance as well as I had wanted to!

We left by midnight because I had open house the next day.  When we got out of the taxi I couldn’t walk in my shoes.  Travis talked me into walking barefoot up to our building, which is a short walk.  When we got in, my feet were black!  It was gross!  I will not be doing that anymore!

The night was great and one of our favorites here so far!  I still can’t get over how awesome all the teachers are and staff members.  Everyone gets along and has such a great time together!

1 comment:

  1. He is always up for walking barefoot. You're probably right to be careful.

    ReplyDelete