Friday, October 5, 2012

Hanoi Day 2- Hoa Lu & Tam Coc


Day 2 started with a long bus/big van ride. Today we were heading out to Hoa Lu and then Tam Coc. Hoa Lu is south of Hanoi and was the capital city of Vietnam between 968 and 1009. Here we just visited what remained of the city. It was interesting, but a little smaller than we expected after a 3 hour bus ride!



After a brief tour of that, we headed over to Tam Coc. This was an additional 15 minutes in the van! When we arrived to this destination we were served a mediocre Vietnamese buffet lunch. It was nothing special, but we were pretty hungry so it did the trick. We were then shuffled across the road to get on a boat. Now, this boat was really small and I was told I would have to be on it for an hour! I was not all that excited at this point…sitting in van for 3 hours and now sitting on a small boat for another hour. However, the view on the Boi River was quite amazing. The towering limestone peaks all around were something we had never seen! It was a great preview for Halong Bay. We snapped several pictures on this peaceful trip. We were really amazed by the man who was rowing the boat. Instead of using hands, he used his feet! I was impressed. There were many boats out, but it was so quiet. It was a nice change of pace from Hanoi.






The final thing we did out here was go for a bike ride. Yes, I Christy, went on a small boat and a bike ride! I know! I am so proud of myself. The bike ride was something indescribable. Just to be surrounded by nature was fantastic! We only cycled for about 30 minutes or so, but it was really nice to see another side of Vietnam. There were only four of us on this part and it felt like we were the only ones around…until you came across the billy goats and then the water buffalo…



It ended up being quite a day. It was a lot fun, but a lot of traveling. Another highlight from the day was dinner. I know, shocking. We do love to eat! Today we tried an Indian restaurant (I know we are in Vietnam, but we love our Indian food the most!). It was the best Indian food we ever had. The owner came out and talked to us and made some suggestions for us for the next night, when we would return again for dinner…



Day 3 was a bit different. I think I will let Travis tell that story!

No comments:

Post a Comment