Monday, December 24, 2012

The beginning of our Winter Holiday


We are traveling for three weeks…that’s a long time! I have never traveled for more than 10 days at a time, so this should be interesting. To start, I have to say that when we planned this trip I was very excited. I thought it would be a perfect way to spend our three week winter holiday. However, I didn’t think about how much Christmas mean to me, and how much I love being surrounded by family and friends during this time of year. What I was thinking about was how chaotic last Christmas was as we tried to drive between Detroit and Jackson numerous times. On top of that, we took a side trip for four days to San Antonio. It was so busy and not really restful. It was amazing to be with family though. I thought this trip was a great alternative. Well, when we got here I was a little mad at myself for choosing this over America. I even went as far as looking up flights back to Shanghai and then flights to Detroit. I’m a nut case…I fully admit it.
So anyway, back to our current trip. We arrived in Chiang Mai, Thailand with no problems. The flights were quite quick and nice. The flight to Bangkok was on Thai Air. I absolutely recommend that airline! We had a five our flight and could watch lots of movies or TV shows. I was in heaven! I managed to watch Chicago and Step Up Revolution (don’t judge me, I was in the mood for movies with dancing) all the way through and then part of one of the Harry Potter movies. The second flight was only an hour and I began to read the latest Stephanie Plum book…still love how entertaining those books are. Oh, and for the record, I LOVED Step Up Revolution! Bring me Twitch and Sandy Cohen any day and I am happy!
Moving on…we arrived in Chiang Mai and took a taxi to our hotel. Immediately noticing green trees, fresh air, less craziness. We were happy to say the least. We were brought to our hotel, The Castle and noticed the photos online were perhaps enhanced a bit. The so-called pool was more like a giant-sized Jacuzzi tub and the rooms looked a little different. To be fair, we are only paying $35 a night, so I didn’t expect much. However, after traveling in Asia for almost three years, I also know that $35 can get you quite a lot! Any who, I was a little disappointed. Travis and I have a slightly completely different opinion when it comes to hotels. I am not saying I have to have a 5 Star hotel experience every time (I would never turn one down), but I would like a hot shower, a sink that I can actually wash my face in without pouring water all over the floor and a bed that is not a rock. Do I exaggerate here…maybe a little. After all, we are in Asia, all beds are hard, but seriously as I type this, my butt is going numb!!! And I am not lying- the shower is not anywhere near hot.
We move to a new hotel today. I have high hopes for a fabulous bathroom, comfy bed and better location. I do know the latter is a for-sure. I will keep you updated, so don’t lose any sleep wondering if my new hotel is good enough for me.
Once I was done complaining to Travis and whining about as many things as I could (of course there were tears too), we began to plan the rest of our time in Chiang Mai. Here is what we are looking at- going to temples, a cooking school, spa day, visiting Waterfalls and Mountains, going to an elephant farm and petting tigers, oh and shopping and eating a lot! I wanted to go to the snake farm, but Travis was not up for it. Ha! Totally joking, neither of us would ever go to that. So, as you can see, I sometimes always over react to things. I am happy to be here now and am looking forward to it all.
Side note- next year we will definitely spend Christmas in America. I am already looking forward to it.

Merry Christmas from Thailand!
C & T

No comments:

Post a Comment