Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Classroom time!

Today was the first day back with returning teachers. This year we get 2 weeks to set up because of the new campus. School does not start until September 1. It was a great day with everyone there. We started with breakfast and coffee in the dining hall. The returning teachers were so friendly saying hello to their friends from the past, but also introducing themselves to new teachers. There was a lot of mingling and it was a very positive vibe. I always love the beginning of the school year. Everyone is excited for the upcoming year and a new, fresh start is always a good thing.

After breakfast we had a full staff meeting. Honestly, it was truly enjoyable. Our superintendent is fantastic and I really like what he had to say. He kept it fun, light, positive and gave out chocolate to teachers every now and then throughout the meeting. :) Each year there is a theme for the school to stick to. This year it is "True to Yellow and Blue". He talked a little bit about what that meant and told us we would be doing a lot with it.

Next, we had time to head to our classrooms for a short while. I was able to talk to the two other grade 2 teachers that were there. They were both very enthusiastic, welcoming and helpful. We will have 5 teachers on our team this year, 3 of which are new. I am really looking forward to a great team! And especially can't wait for Krystle to get here so we can finally teach together!

Each division had their own meeting for a short time before lunch. Elementary School (ES) started with a game about our two new assistant principals, Travis and Mike. She gave us 15 clues and we had to guess Travis, Mike or both. I thought for sure I would win, but I didn't! I couldn't believe it. I came in 2nd place. The 'both' answer through me off a bit. We learned some interesting stuff about our new leaders. :) Then, we talked about "True to Yellow and Blue". We did an activity and then brainstormed how we would bring this in to our classrooms. It was WONDERFUL to have such organization and collaboration right away. I truly felt like every minute of these meetings was worthwhile and helpful.

Now, let's talk about organization. Anyone that knows me, knows I like things to be organized, planned ahead, focused and purposeful. I can say, wholeheartedly, this school is ALL about that. I have been blown away by the organization in everything that has been done. Our new school is also all about helping and supporting each other. It has been an amazing feeling!

After our yummy subway lunch, from the restaurant on our campus, I spent the rest of the day in my classroom. I got quite a bit done and am happy with my progress. I will leave you with some pictures of what it looked like at the beginning of the day. I have already rearranged things, unpacked boxes and put some books away though. Bulletin boards, white boards and posters are coming soon. When I finish, I will post pictures again. :)

Oh, and if you are wondering what Travis has been doing...I don't know. He does whatever it is principals do during the day behind closed doors. Just kidding! He has been running around like crazy making sure everything is going smoothly and checking on rooms and people and doing lots of planning and organizing. Yesterday he worked 12 1/2 hours!!! Today he got to come home early, so that was really nice!

One more thing, we worked more on organizing the house and also got our new barbecue delivered. Also, our maid should start tomorrow or Thursday, which will be great. Things are dirty and need to be cleaned! ;)

Now, here is my classroom at the beginning...






Happy Monday to all!
C

8 comments:

  1. Glad you are loving the new school! Sorry they are making you cheer for Michigan this year ;) I actually really miss the beginning of the school year. Its probably the hardest time for me. Enjoy the fun of setting up, organizing, planning, and anticipating! Can't wait to see your room all ready to go! And enjoy all the running around Travis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have a prayer rug in your room! Will school stop at prayer time? If you have children who need/want to pray during prayer time - what do they do? where do they go? Do you have any local Saudi people who help out in the school? Wait, could/can the women work at your school? If so - what do they do during prayer time? I think I like prayer time. I'm going to ask Andrew if we can have it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't observe prayer time at the school, so I don't know what happens with the Saudi children. We have no Saudi workers at our school. Every once in a while we have a Saudi prince come on campus to make sure we follow rules, but that is it.

      Delete
  3. Your new classroom looks really nice. I love reading these posts! You are inspiring me to try writing/posting pics too (I've been on this blogger since 2009 and never written a word! ;)...its just fun to see what you are up to and nice to see pics of your life there. I'm so happy that things are going well for you guys.....m :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little unsure of my classroom at first. It is definitely bigger than I am use to and everything is so different. I couldn't decide how to set it up because of the strange configuration. I really like how I have it now, hopefully I will still like it when the kids get there. :) You should totally blog! I would love to see what is happening with you too!

      Delete
  4. I thought your room looked great! I LOVED all the windows! It was a different layout though. Can't wait to see what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Sounds like you are both doing well. I'm glad you are enjoying it and happy with the organization! Is your room really long? It is fun to read about your new life!

    ReplyDelete