Thursday, August 21, 2014

I miss...

I have been writing about all the wonderful parts of our new life here in Riyadh. Of course I am making it sound like it's all sunshine and cupcakes. And honestly, it is going much better than I expected. The reality is though, when you move to a new country, it's hard. It doesn't matter if it is your first time moving, second time or twentyfifth time. It will always be hard. Everything is new. The people, the work, the grocery store, the washing machine, and everything in between has changed. There are many wonderful things about our new city, school and home, but there are many things that I am missing. This blog is about what I miss from living in Shanghai...


  1. My friends- We truly made the bestest of friends in Shanghai and many of us are now scattered all over the world. I miss them all so much! I know I am making new friends, but for now I long to call up some of my old friends to see if anyone wants to come over for a girls night or out to dinner somewhere...
  2. Being able to go to a restaurant or bar whenever I want to go- I miss Yongkang Lu, Liquid Laundry, Lost Heaven, Sichuan Citizen and so many other places.
  3. Being able to go out into the city wearing anything I want- I loved that in China, anything goes, like anything. I could wear Hello Kitty sunglasses with a blue and green striped top and orange and brown polka dotted hot pants with sequin shoes and no one would like at me twice. Here, I can do the same, but it is covered by an abaya! ;)
  4. Knowing how to get to the grocery store- Here we drive and we don't know where we are going yet. I miss the easy transport system in Shanghai.
  5. The theater- Yes, I never thought I would say that, but I miss going into the SCIS theater, even if I was there for many hours after school.
  6. Food delivery- I miss that convenience of everything being delivered.
  7. Fruit markets- Fruit was everywhere and was so cheap!
  8. Dragonfly- I am in desperate need of a pedicure and it looks like I will have to do it myself. :( I could also use a nice oil massage after moving all of these boxes and unpacking.

I am sure there is more I will miss, and of course there is plenty that I don't miss! I just thought I would let everyone know that I am still a normal person and everything over here in our Pleasantville Compound and School is great, but I still miss things from my former life in Shanghai. ;)

Now my weekend begins!
C

3 comments:

  1. Yep... There is good and not so good everywhere you will go. Try to keep focused on the good... Miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it really doesnt matter how often you move, its hard! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet I will miss those things too. As I type there is a jack hammer behind me and 50 car horns honking -the usual Friday Night Fun. They worked on the street in front of our apartment ALL NIGHT last night. OMG! Can they do construction whenever they want to in your sandy place?

    ReplyDelete